Just over a week after a major Chinese media outlet claimed that the Binance Founder and CEO Changpeng “CZ” Zhao is the richest ethnic Chinese person alive, another report has surfaced questioning the logic of the original report.
In an article published by the media outlet Yijian Finance, the integrity and reliability of Caijing Magazine’s original post on the subject were called into question.
As reported, Caijing Magazine published a Weibo post at the end of November featuring a “top 5” rich list of the wealthiest Chinese people alive – with Zhao topping the list by virtue of the fact that Binance’s stock was thought to be worth so much.
Quoting data from unnamed “insiders,” as well as previously published information from Forbes that Binance’s value was estimated at USD 300bn, Caijing Magazine noted that Zhao was believed to own 30% of Binance’s shares. This meant that the Binance Founder was worth some USD 90bn, it claimed. It added that Zhao “ranks among the top 10 richest people in the world.” The post also noted that Binance’s daily trading volume had reached the USD 76bn mark.
But the Yijian Finance author claimed that there were a number of reasons to suggest that Caijing Magazine may have used faulty logic to construct its list, namely the following:
- The valuation of USD 300bn appears to come from a Wall Street Journal article from November 11, which quoted “company insiders” as stating that “if Binance were public, it could be worth up to USD 300bn,” adding that this valuation was made by unnamed “former executives.” The “authority” of “former executives” and unnamed “insiders” was called into question – particularly as Zhao has not personally commented on a valuation.
- Zhao has never stated publicly how many shares he owns in Binance. Furthermore, in what appeared to be a rebuttal of the Ciajiing Magazine rich list, Zhao also tweeted shortly after the Weibo post was published, writing: “Valuations without liquidity [don’t] mean much.”
- The list contained factual errors, such as the age of the Tencent founder “Pony” Ma (Ma Huateng).
- To calculate the wealth of super-rich individuals, media outlets “cannot rely solely on so-called ‘insiders,’ the author added. Instead, such lists “generally” make their calculations based on “stocks and fixed assets of recognized value.” As Binance is not a publicly listed firm, and Zhao’s ownership is not publicly available, the calculations are little more than “just an estimate or a subjective guess” – with a lack of “objective authority” backed “by data.”
- Daily trading volumes can fluctuate wildly, and cannot be used to make calculations of this sort.
- Rich lists are notoriously difficult to compile and are rarely confined to a “top 5.”
- The timing of the report is suspicious, the author claimed, noting that the “virtual currency industry” is “banned in China.”The author accused Caijing Magazine of attempting to drive up web traffic to its site, adding that presenting Zhao as such a wealthy individual was a “dangerous” move.
However, some Chinese netizens have suggested that Zhao’s true wealth could be found within his crypto holdings. He has previously stated that some “100%” of his net worth was “invested in crypto.”
Zhao also stated that his portfolio was entirely made up of bitcoin (BTC) purchased in 2014, as well as undisclosed binance coin (BNB) holdings.
– Binance Resumes DOGE Withdrawals, Says ‘No Shade Intended’
– Binance Is ‘In Talks with Sovereign Wealth Funds’, Boosts Irish Presence
– Binance Releases Bill of Rights for Crypto Users
– Binance Boss CZ Only Has Eyes for Bitcoin and BNB
Source: crypto news
Phillies sign Trea Turner to massive deal as NL East continues to move free agent market: report
Meet Kylian Mbappé, the £100m striker who’s England’s World Cup ‘enemy no1’
Big Money Investors Turn to These Altcoins as Crypto Market Recovers – What Do They Know?
‘Fox News Sunday’ on December 4, 2022
Shocking Video Shows Man Walloped in Back of Head in NYC Bat Attack
Balenciaga campaign features book by Belgian Michael Borremans who is known for depicting naked kids
‘Wednesday’: Will Tyler Return if There’s a Season 2?
How to Channel Your Rage Into a Workout So You Actually Feel Better
The 171 Absolute Best Cyber Monday Deals Right Now
69 Best Cyber Monday Fitness Deals 2022: Treadmills, Dumbbells, Yoga Mats, Nike Sneakers
‘Yellowstone’ Officially Crushes Fans Hope For More of the Duttons From ‘1883’
Oil Surges As Russian Oil Price Cap Kicks In—Here’s How High Experts Predict It Could Go
TikTok influencer is fined after hitting a golf ball into the Grand Canyon
‘Big Brother’: Taylor Hale Reveals the Reddit Tips That Helped Her
Social Security Vocabulary-Things You Should Know To Maximize Benefits!
Finance15 hours ago
Bitcoin Price and Ethereum Back above $17,000 and $1,300 – Time to Buy?
Finance15 hours ago
Qatari Sheikh Hamad Al Thani Wins £4.2 Million Breach Of Contract And Negligence Case Against Art Dealer John Eskenazi
Politics8 hours ago
Social Security disability benefit offices reach breaking point with huge claim backlogs
News17 hours ago
Why authorities will NOT stop magma from the world’s largest active volcano from reaching highway
Lifestyle16 hours ago
‘Mystery Road: Origin’ and ‘Elvis’ Dominate AACTA Craft Awards
Lifestyle17 hours ago
CreatorWorld Identifies Video Consumption Shifts and Industry Responses
Finance24 hours ago
Black Friday Sales Numbers Hit Record Highs Despite Fears Of Recession
Lifestyle18 hours ago
The White Lotus: Why We're Really Worried About Tanya