Connect with us

News

Clifton T. Perkins CEO Scott Moran agrees to 6-month restraining order

Published

on

The CEO of Maryland’s maximum-security psychiatric hospital agreed to stay away from the facility and two of his colleagues for six months after a temporary restraining order was filed against the doctor.

Scott Moran, 53, was placed on leave from his job at the Clifton T. Perkins Hospital Center around the same time his colleagues filed the restraining order on Feb. 7. The petition, filed in Baltimore County District Court, temporarily banned Moran from coming to the facility as well as the state administrative offices for the Maryland Department of Health.

Moran appeared in court Wednesday for a brief hearing on the matter, where he also agreed not to possess weapons and to stay away from other Maryland Department of Health administrative buildings and all state hospitals for the duration of the six-month order.

The restraining order stemmed from an employment dispute, and if that is addressed, the parties agreed to come back to court to resolve the peace order.

Moran and his attorney declined to comment after the hearing, as did a spokesperson for the Maryland Department of Health.

The initial petition, filed by Dwain Shaw and Nisha Madhaven and obtained by The Washington Post, alleged that Moran has been harassing and threatening his “employer and subordinates” using “electronic methods.” Moran’s threats included saying “you don’t know what I used to do in the military” and “you’re gonna be in trouble and you’re gonna get Moran’d,” according to the petition.

Advertisement

The petition alleges that Moran used profane language alongside his threats and sent “racially suggestive messages” to employees, even after he was told not to contact them. It asserts that he engaged in “yelling, public humiliation and intimidating” and that he was previously accused of bullying other employees — allegations that the petition claims were “corroborated” after an internal investigation.

Signs featuring a photo of the doctor have been posted at those state properties labeling him as a “restricted employee,” according to an image of the sign obtained by The Post.

The hearing Wednesday was held so the doctor and his colleagues had the opportunity to discuss the allegations made in the petition.

During restraining order trials in Maryland, the respondent can accept the conditions of the petition — to stay away from people or places outlined by the petitioner — without admitting any guilt or wrongdoing. The respondent may also opt to have a trial, where a judge hears arguments and evidence from both parties then decides whether to permanently extend the restraining order.

Moran’s hearing had been delayed twice after the doctor did not appear in court. The petitioners, who had appeared in court, told the judge that Moran was being held against his will, which is why he was not there. The judge asked if he was being held at a jail, and the petitioners said no.

The Maryland Department of Health had earlier declined to answer questions from The Post about the restraining order or the allegations within it, saying in a statement that the department “does not comment on personnel matters, nor can it comment on patient health information.”

Source: Washington Post

Advertisement

Follow us on Google News to get the latest Updates

Advertisement
Advertisement

Trending