This picture taken from southern Israel near the border with the Gaza Strip shows smoke billowing after an Israeli strike in the Palestinian territory during battles between Israel and Hamas militants on December 4, 2023.
John Macdougall | AFP | Getty Images
The Gaza Strip faced heavy bombardment for a third night since the seven-day pause in fighting ended on Friday, as the Israeli offensive shifts to the refugee-packed south of the enclave.
“We fought strongly and thoroughly in the northern Gaza Strip, and we are also doing it now in the southern Gaza Strip,” Israel Defense Forces Chief of Staff Herzi Halevi told reservists on Sunday. That’s the clearest signal so far that a much-feared Israeli offensive is set to envelop the south of the Gaza territories, where hundreds of thousands of displaced Palestinian people have been forced to evacuate at Israel’s instructions.
“Wherever there is a stronghold, the IDF operates. The Israeli forces are fighting terrorists face-to-face and killing them,” IDF spokesperson Daniel Hagari told reporters in a late Sunday press briefing.
Palestinians stand on the edge of a crater after an Israeli strike in Rafah in the southern Gaza Strip on December 3, 2023, amid continuing battles between Israel and the militant group Hamas.
Said Khatib | Afp | Getty Images
The Israeli military, whose stated goal is to dismantle Palestinian militant group Hamas and recover all hostages in its custody, said in an overnight Telegram update that it has struck roughly 200 Hamas targets, separately reporting it killed a senior Hamas commander, Haitham Khuwajari, head of the Shati Battalion. CNBC could not independently verify the reports.
“The goals in the northern section have almost been met,” Brigadier-General Hisham Ibrahim told Israel’s Army Radio, according to Reuters. “We are beginning to expand the ground maneuver to other parts of the Strip, with one goal: to topple the Hamas terrorist group.”
The IDF estimates that 137 hostages remain held by Hamas in the Gaza Strip in conditions unknown, following hostage swaps for the release of detained Palestinian civilians that were carried out during the cease-fire. Israel has separately begun to declare some of the missing as dead in captivity in an attempt to grant closure to grieving relatives, Reuters reported, saying that a three-person medical committee has been studying and cross-referencing video footage from the Oct. 7 terror attacks and the testimonies of released hostages.
A man looks at posters bearing the images of Israeli hostages held in Gaza since the October 7 attack on the sidelines of a demonstration calling for their release, in Tel Aviv on December 2, 2023.
Ahmad Gharabli | Afp | Getty Images
Those measures can help determine the status of a captive, even if no doctor has formally pronounced a death, said Hagar Mizrahi, the head of the panel and a health ministry official.
In the Gaza Strip, Israeli attacks have coalesced around the southern city of Khan Younis, where Israel suspects that Hamas leadership is entrenched in a spiderweb of underground tunnels. The IDF has been urging Palestinian civilians to evacuate certain parts of the city, according to a Google-translated update from spokesperson for Arab media Avichay Adraee.
The south of the Gaza enclave was previously considered safe territory for refugees and home to the strip’s few remaining fully functional hospitals, following relentless bombardment in the north.
Torrential fusillades now engulf Khan Younis, with the IDF claiming on Telegram that the Israeli air force struck over 50 targets locally on Dec. 2.
28 November 2023, Palestinian Territories, Khan Yunis: Palestinians cook food in a destroyed house during the temporary ceasefire between Israel and Hamas, in the village of Khuza’a near the border fence between Israel and the southern Gaza Strip. Photo: Mohammed Talatene/dpa (Photo by Mohammed Talatene/picture alliance via Getty Images)
ohammed Talatene | Picture Alliance | Getty Images
“A night of utterly relentless bombardments. I cannot stop thinking about the 1.8 million people in the south. I don’t think there was more than a five or 10 minute-period throughout the course of the night, and I really didn’t sleep, where something wasn’t flying overhead or the sky being lit up,” UNICEF spokesperson James Elder, who is on site, said in a voice note.
“Despite what has been assured, attacks in the south of #Gaza are every bit as vicious as what the north endured,” he added on social media.
The targeting of Khan Younis comes mere weeks after the IDF urged Palestinian people to take refuge south of the Wadi Gaza wetlands in the strip amid decimation in the north of the enclave — and raises questions over where civilians should seek shelter next. The U.S. has previously said that the conflict cannot result in forceful Palestinian displacements.
Residents of the Qatari-funded Hamad Town residential complex in Khan Yunis in the southern Gaza Strip, carry some of their belongings as they flee their homes after an Israeli strike, on December 2, 2023.
Mahmud Hams | Afp | Getty Images
A senior U.S. military official told NBC News that he was taken aback by the ferocity of Israel’s resurging offensive after the end of the seven-day truce, in line with recent pleas from the White House entreating Israel to bolster its efforts to protect civilians in the enclave. One of three international mediators of the lapsed cease-fire, the U.S. has otherwise stood steadfast in its support of Israel, repeatedly condemning Hamas and defending its ally’s right to self-defense.
“We’ve designated a special humanitarian zone in southern Gaza, close to Khan Younis, which, yes, isn’t perfect, but it is the best currently available solution that we have,” IDF Jonathan Conricus said in a televised CNN interview.
“We are not trying to displace anyone. We are not trying to move anyone from anywhere permanently. We have asked civilians to evacuate the battlefield,” he said in a separate press briefing.
Washington itself has been drawn into the fire. The U.S. Command Center on Sunday reported that three commercial ships — the Unity Explorer, the Number 9 and the Sophie II — came under fire in the popular Red Sea transit route from missiles deployed from Yemeni areas controlled by Iranian-backed Houthi rebels. The offensives prompted the patrolling U.S. navy destroyer, the Carney, to shoot down several Houthi drones, with only minor damage and no casualties reported, according to U.S. Central Command (CENTCOM).
The U.S. Navy destroyer USS Carney (DDG 64) sets sail in the Bosphorus in Istanbul, Turkey, July 14, 2019.
Yoruk Isik | Reuters
Houthi spokesperson Yahya Saree claimed responsibility for the attacks against the Unity Explorer and the Number 9 on behalf of the group, saying the former vessel was targeted by an anti-ship missile, with the second ship pursued by a sea drone. The Houthis claimed that both vessels had rejected warnings from Yemeni naval forces, reiterating that “all Israeli vessels or those linked to Israelis” will become a “legitimate target” — a threat first levied when the militants seized the Galaxy Leader cargo ship, which is unaffiliated with Israel, in November.
“These attacks represent a direct threat to international commerce and maritime security,” CENTCOM said. “We also have every reason to believe that these attacks, while launched by the Houthis in Yemen, are fully enabled by Iran. The United States will consider all appropriate responses in full coordination with its international allies and partners.”
Repeated anti-Israel offensives from Houthi operatives, Bashar al-Assad’s Syrian regime and Lebanese Hezbollah militants — all of whom are sponsored by Iran and regarded as Tehran’s proxies by some in the international community — have fueled concerns that the Israel-Hamas conflict could spill into the broader Middle East. Tehran has repeatedly said that these forces of “resistance” act independently.
Cold Case: Gertrude Bizzaro’s daughter holding out hope 22 years after deadly stabbing inside Clifton, N.J. home
BMW Won’t Put The Z4 Coupe Concept Into Production
Look: From everyday life to war, how 400 photographers are provoking thought at Sharjah show
Trump asks New York court to delay enforcement of judgment pending appeal
Clifton T. Perkins CEO Scott Moran agrees to 6-month restraining order
Beyoncé Revealed She’s Dealt With Scalp Psoriasis While Promoting Her New Hair Care Line
People Who Have Had COVID Face a Much Higher Risk of Chronic Fatigue, Study Says
Meghan Markle and Prince Harry Just Fired Back at Critics With 3 Words After Sussex Website Rebrand, Canada Trip
17 Women Share the Reasons They Stopped Wearing Makeup
The Mystery of Partner ‘Convergence’
Kate Middleton’s Surgery Secret Exposed in King Charles Video
Amazon Just Got Banned From the EU Parliament
Jennifer Lawrence Sizzles in Polished, Provocative Workwear at Paris Fashion Week
Emergency Planners Are Having a Moment
Dictators Used Sandvine Tech to Censor the Internet. The US Finally Did Something About It
News23 hours ago
Black History Month in the Age of Book Bans
News6 hours ago
Winter Haven firefighters rescue sleeping mom, 4-year-old daughter from house fire
News6 hours ago
NYS Legislature unveils new maps for 26 congressional districts
News19 hours ago
Bumble to lay off 350 employees as tech industry job cuts mount
Sport6 hours ago
Darts UK Open prize money 2024: How much is Luke Littler battling for?
News19 hours ago
Every Car Is an Apple Car
News7 hours ago
Western sanctions often hurt innocent bystanders – Asia Times
News6 hours ago
King Charles Calls on Royal Family’s ‘Secret Weapon’ to Sort out Prince Harry Problem